Monday, October 18, 2010

lxxxxv

“Lord, Lord, Lord.  Protect me from the consequences of the above prayer.” 
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I have a test today and I have yet to start studying.

The study room across from my closed-door dorm is quiet, save for the flicking fluorescents and the barely-silent cries of the marker board, the cries of strangers leaving their dry-erase mark on the white gloss. It is distracting, to say the very least.

I am very easily distracted by anything. And while this computer is instrumental to my studying, it’s also filled with movies and phone books and flash games, everything I need to feed my mind with anything but Astronomy.

Instead of quarks and binary systems, the Boondock Saints scream profanities and prayers from tiny speakers, forcing me to not pay attention to text books and notes by holding two guns to my computer’s quivering head:

“And shepherds we shall be,
for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
and teeming with souls shall it ever be…”

            And I’ll add a little post scriptum: “Lord guide me to start studying, here, right now at three o’clock in your new morning.”

“…In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.”

No comments:

Post a Comment