Saturday, October 9, 2010

lxxxviii

“O bed! O bed! Delicious bed! That heaven upon earth to the weary head.”
-Thomas Hood, Miss Kilmansegg-Her Dream

            I forgot how big my bed was. I forgot how the down comforter is molded to my body’s sleep posistion. And I forgot how the nineteen-year-old fan above me sings the best lullabies and how quickly I fall asleep.

Night Prayer

Now I lay me down to sleep                                     as i stare at my bedroom ceiling,
 it transforms.
 its grooved edges become
 patterns, grotesque and beautiful.

I pray the Lord my soul to keep                             i cry for help
as the patterns evolve into monsters,
glaring and menacing.

If I die before I wake                                               their bloody mouths swallow me
           enveloping me in warm darkness.
           it’s overwhelming,
           almost intoxicating.

I pray the Lord my soul will take                       i switch on the light in a cold sweat
         mastering beasts, who, i realized,
                      were only caused by a splinter        
                      lodged firmly in my mind’s eye.

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment