Tuesday, October 12, 2010

lxxxix

“Why is it so important for you to dream?”
“Because, in my dreams we are together.”
-Ariadne and Cobb, Inception

            Tuesdays are my SLEEPINDAYS and today was no exception.  It was 11:07 by the time I woke up, my roommate already gone for the day, almostafternoon light shining through the plastic cracks in my blinds.

            The first fourteen seconds of waking up are always the worst: the pair of contact lenses that I had forgotten to take out the sleepy night prior becomes, to say the very least, uncomfortable, clinging to my tired eyes with a dry stubbornness, forcing me to acknowledge that, yes, not letting them rest in their chemical vat of clear stuff was a just terrible decision.

            But after countless mornings of this unfortunate wake-up call, I still have yet to find the motivation to take them out each night, to avoid the mornings of two minute blinking sessions, trying to restore some inner moisture to the sleep-sand deserts of my eyelids. Without my contacts in, I (admittedly naively) think that I’ll stumble through the dreamscapes that this night will offer, which is not my idea of a solid sleep. I’d rather see my subconscious synapse sparks with the sharpness of prescription eye ware, leaving no dream step to chance, a way to see my deep REM cycles with clarity.

            And anything that offers this type of mental clarity is totally worth the dreaded dryness of this next late morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment