Friday, October 22, 2010

lxxxxix

“If the wall is breached, Helm's Deep will fall.”
“Even if it is breached, it will take a number beyond reckoning, thousands, to storm the keep.”
“Tens of thousands.”
“But, my lord, there is no such force.”
-Saruman and Grima Wormtongue, The Two Towers

            It rained earlier today, the quiet morning barely interrupted by the slow-falling, dark-cloud spew.  A splattering of tiny drops of water had collected into small haphazard pools on my new sweatshirt by the time I walked into Business Calculus 2.

            I’ve started to sit in the same seats for each of my classes, giving my new locations a sense of familiarity, of schedule. It’s easier to not pay attention to material that I have already learned when I have new people around me to not pay attention with. It takes me awhile, normally, to feel at ease with situations, never really letting my Helm’s-Deep guards down until I have completely settled into comfort about the newness of it all.

            The seat is a wet against my back because of the sweatshirt pressed against the plastic marbling but I ease myself into it, anyway, letting the rain water wash over me for a second time as I turn to the person next to me and ask what I missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment