Sunday, September 5, 2010

lii

“People don't come to church for preachments, of course, but to daydream about God.”
-Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

            I like to consider myself a rather religious person.

            One of the great benefits of being Catholic (besides the saints and the doctors of the Church and the writings and the traditions and the Truth and the Knights of Columbus Grill-Outs) is having absolutely no choice of how and where to fulfill my Sunday obligation, especially in this brand new college situation. The Protestant and non-Catholic people that I have been meeting (slowly) around campus are complaining and complaining about finding a new church.

            They are effectively shopping around BIGCOLLEGETOWN, looking for the parish that appeals the most to them, the one with the best praise-and-worship group or the most spiritual minister or the best post-service donuts.

             But as a Catholic, it’s already chosen for me. The only possible place for me to go at eleven-o’clock on a Sunday morning is St. Mary’ Catholic Community.

            And, today, with an empty stomach growling and my wrinkled polo untucked, as I sing along to the guitar strums that remind me of when I was much younger, it feels like home.

1 comment: