Monday, August 16, 2010

xxxii

“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”
-Dr. Seuss

           I have come to the surprising conclusion that goodbyes said over too-expensive bowls of ice cream are considerably easier, considerably more meaningful, considerably more tastily heart-felt than goodbyes not said over too-expensive bowls of ice cream. Such a conclusion surprised me.

It also surprised me how well a plastic cup of cold vending-machine water complements an overpriced dipped cone, not interfering itself with the crunching sugars of the white chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles, allowing me to cleanse my thankful palate and my ten-o'clock-tired conversation mind.

Armed with my plastic cup of reminders and memories, gripping the yet-to-be-opened hand-written letter which had been so nonchalantly handed across the table, I sat in my metal terraced chair, saying good-bye to my best friend.

And for the three hours we said good-bye, talking about families and vocations and religions and mix CD's, my half-eaten Cake Batter double scoop slowly melted at room temperature, the disappearing ice floated around in the tiny plastic cup, heralding the disappearing time and the watery advent of things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment