Wednesday, August 11, 2010

xxvii

“Today is the greatest day I’ve ever known.”
-Smashing Pumpkins

Today was the last day of high-pitched squeal work for two of my fellow polo-swagger counselors, the last day in our three-month journey through the inner-hell of a seven-year-old troublemaker together, finally cementing the bonding of the seven, barely-above-minimum-wage young adults.

Today was the last day before I head off to the four-day orientation camp for my university, the last day before the first day of the rest of my life.
Today is the ending of one thing, the beginning of something greater and unreachable.
And I am spending this last day, this last breath of familiarity, this first day, this first taste of freedom from home, family, and gummy seven-year-olds, curled on a friend's couch, watching his grainy high school football footage, reliving and remembering and rewinding, before it's too late. 

No comments:

Post a Comment