Sunday, July 25, 2010

x


Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero. 
-Marc Brown

            Today is my little brother’s fourteenth birthday. For the past three years or so, his age has been altered in conversation because, frankly, I forgot how old he was. The time-travel-DeLorean of my thoughts would rocket his age from 10 to 12 in a matter of three seconds of 88-miles-per-hour of forgetful pre-Alzheimer’s. And, for that, I apologize.

            Last year, instead of buying him a present, I wrote him a poem that I forgot (again, the Alzheimer’s) to give him:

                        Birthday

The July sun beats down on
cracked marble tiles
and the sound of tiny, Velcroed tennis shoes slapping
cool hospital floor
echoes through scurrying hallways,
sprinting up the stairs, sending shockwaves upon shockwaves
ricocheting ahead, signaling the newly-four-year-old’s arrival.

His faded freckled shirt
ripples with excitement,
an equally faded stuffed animal swung under his arm.

And the squeak of the door reflects
the squeal of surprise, the stuffed animal is thrown to the side because
the red, wrinkled bundle wrapped in the carefully ironed blue blanket
is a  new playmate,
the best kind.

This year he got Airsoft guns and movie tickets. I think he likes those better.

1 comment:

  1. I like the poem. Too bad you forgot to give it to him.

    ReplyDelete